The Need for Speed: Special Edition Free Download (1996 game) – This page will show you how to download and install the full version of The Need for Speed: Special Edition (1996) on PC.
The Need for Speed: Special Edition Overview
In 1996, an edition of The Need for Speed, The Need for Speed: Special Edition, was released only on PC CD-ROM, containing MS-DOS and Windows 95 versions. It includes two new tracks (“Transtropolis” and “Burnt Sienna”) and various enhancements to the game engine. The Windows 95 version supports DirectX 2 and IPX networking. Special Edition is the last game in the Need for Speed series to support MS-DOS, as subsequent releases for the PC only run on Microsoft Windows 95 or above. It can still be run under 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows XP and later Windows OSes using DOSBox for the MS-DOS version of the game.
How to Download and Install The Need for Speed: Special Edition
- Click on the download button below. It should redirect you to your download (a .rar file). Make sure you download the file properly and that your internet does not disconnect while downloading.
- Extract the “The Need for Speed Special Edition” folder to your desktop.
- Download the software called DOSBox and put a shortcut for DOSBox onto your desktop.
- Open the “The Need for Speed Special Edition” folder and then open the “Game Files” folder.
- Drag the file called “NFS” on top of the DOSBox icon. The game should now launch in DOSBox.
- Enjoy the game!
The Need for Speed: Special Edition PC Download
About the download
- This is the original DOS version of The Need for Speed (1994).
The Need for Speed: Special Edition System Requirements
A computer that can run DOSBox.