How to play old games on a Virtual Machine
The best way to play any old game is on its native operating system. Using a Virtual Machine (VM) allows you to run a different operating system (OS) inside whichever operating system you’re using right now. This sounds complicated but is actually quite simple – you simply need to download a virtual machine software, download the OS you want to play the game on and the load up that OS into the virtual machine. After, you can install the game on the virtual machine and (in most cases) start playing straight away.
Running a Windows XP Virtual machine using VMWare
Setting up this machine will allow you to run most games which were released for PC between 1996 and 2006.
First of all you will need to download these:
- VMWare Workstation 12: https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/info?slug=desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_workstation_pro/12_0
- Windows XP Professional: https://mega.nz/#!vEVimKwJ!qaqBh8vhZ-C7d75qrbQSim8mUxfbd9QWntfDRu8ZSKc
Then follow these steps:
- Open VMWare and select “create a new virtual machine”
- Select installer disc image file (iso), go to “Browse…” and select the downloaded Windows XP ISO file. Click on “Next”.
- They will ask you to insert a product key – you can leave it empty. Put in your name and (optionally) a password. Then click on “Next”. Click “Yes” to the popup where they tell you that you didn’t enter a product key.
- You can choose a name for your Windows XP virtual machine – or you can leave it at default and then click “Next” again.
- You can choose the Hard Drive space for your virtual machine, you can leave this at default and then click on “Next”. Then select “Finish”.
- Windows XP will begin installing. During the setup, they will ask you for a product key. You can use:
- Wait for the setup to finish installing. Once finished, Windows XP should start up (tip: keep your sound on, you’ll definitely get a nostalgic rush hearing the Windows XP opening music!)
- You know have a fully functional Windows XP virtual machine with which you can play your favorite old Windows games! Enjoy!