Lode Runner (1983 game) – This page will show you how to download and install the full version of Lode Runner.
|Developers||Doug Smith, Hudson Soft|
Lode Runner Description
Lode Runner is a platform video game first published by Brøderbund in 1983. Unlike later platformers which rely on precision jumping and movement, levels in Lode Runner are puzzle-oriented. It is one of the first games to include a level editor.
The player controls a stick figure who must collect all the gold in a level while avoiding guards who try to catch the player. After collecting all the gold, the player must touch the top of the screen to reach the next level. There are 150 levels in the game which progressively challenge players’ problem-solving abilities or reaction times.
Levels feature a multi-story, brick platform motif, with ladders and suspended hand-to-hand bars that offer multiple ways to travel throughout. The player can dig holes into floors to temporarily trap guards and may safely walk atop trapped guards. Should a guard be carrying a bar of gold when he falls into a hole it will be left behind, and can be retrieved by the player. Over time, floors dug into will regenerate, filling in these holes. A trapped guard who cannot escape a hole before it fills is consumed, immediately respawning in a random location at the top of the level. Unlike guards, the player’s character may not climb up out of a hole, and will be killed if it fills before he can escape by other means. Floors may also contain trapdoors, through which the player and guards will fall, and bedrock, through which the player cannot dig.
Download Lode Runner
We might have the game available for more than one platform. Lode Runner is currently available on these platforms:
Text instructions (how to play on Windows)
- Click on the download button above. It should redirect you to your download (a .zip file). Make sure you download the file properly and that your internet does not disconnect while downloading.
- Extract the “Lode_Runner_DOS” folder to your desktop. You will need a software such as WinRAR to do this.
- Download DOSBox and put a shortcut for DOSBox onto your desktop.
- Open the “Lode_Runner_DOS” folder and then open the “Game Files” folder.
- Drag the file called “LR” on top of the DOSBox icon and the game should now launch in DOSBox.
- Enjoy the game!
Additional files, patches and fixes
Lode Runner System Requirements
- HDD: 1.16 MB
- Other: A computer that can run DOSBox