Sid Meier’s Sim Golf is a computer game created by Sid Meier, Firaxis, and Maxis in 2002. In the game, players must successfully design golf courses and play them with their default professional golfer, Gary Golf (though this player can be customized in a number of different ways). The game features a complete system that allows the player to build their own golf empire. Players begin with some money and choose a country to begin building the players’ course. Once there, players begin by placing a teeing ground and a putting green for Hole One and are then allowed to go on adding or modifying what lies between: fairways, trees, rough, bunkers (or sandtraps), landmarks, benches, paths, flowerbeds, terrain and just about anything players would normally see in a golf course. Players are advised not to waste money because if the coffers stay in the red long enough, the game is over. If players design the course well, they can manage to build an entire 18-hole course while obtaining profits. Players can also populate their course with a variety of staff, such as groundskeepers who will pull out any unsightly weeds, greeters that will talk to customers and drinks vendors to help golfers quench their thirst.
Download Sid Meier’s SimGolf
We might have the game available for more than one platform. Sid Meier’s SimGolf is currently available on these platforms:
Text instructions (how to play on Windows)
- Download the “Sid_Meiers_SimGolf_Windows_ISO.zip” file from the link above. Make sure you download the file properly and that your internet does not disconnect while downloading.
- Open the downloaded .zip file and extract the “Sid_Meiers_SimGolf_Windows_ISO” folder to your desktop. You will need to use a software such as WinRAR to do this.
- Open the extracted “Sid_Meiers_SimGolf_Windows_ISO” folder and then open the “Game Files” folder.
- Mount the “SIMGOLF.iso” file to an empty disc drive. To do this, you will need to download a software such as PowerISO or Daemon Tools (right click on the file and there you should see your options to mount the file).
- Open the mounted disc drive and then right click on the “Setup.exe” file and select “Run as administrator”. The setup for the game should now launch. They will ask you to insert a CD-key, you can use one of these:
You can also find more keys here.
- Go through the game setup and finish installing the game.
- Launch the game using the “Play SimGolf” desktop shortcut.
- Enjoy the game!
For problems launching the game:
Right click on the icon for the game launcher and click on properties. Go to the “Compatibility” tab and then:
- Check the box next to “Run this program in compatibility mode for” and then select “Windows XP (Service Pack 3)” in the drop down menu.
- Check the box “Reduced Color Mode” and in the drop-down menu, select 8-bit (256 color)
- Check the box “Run in 640×480 screen resolution”
- Check the “Run as an administrator”
- And then click on “Apply” and then click on “Okay”. Now, launch the game by double clicking on the game icon.
- If all that fails, then you may need to launch the game in a Windows emulator such as DOSBox or on VirtualBox.
Additional files, patches and fixes
Sid Meier’s SimGolf Screenshots
Image credits: MobyGames