Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings (abbreviated AOE2 or AOK) is a real-time strategy video game developed by Ensemble Studios and published by Microsoft Games for Windows and Mac OS operating systems, and Konami for PlayStation 2. It was released in mid-1999 and is the second release in the famous Age of Empires franchise. The player takes control of a village or city belonging to a certain civilization and guides it through 4 ages: the Dark Age, Feudal Age, Castle Age and Imperial Age. Each age provides improvements to the civilization, as unlocks various new units, buildings and technologies available for use. In the Imperial Age, which is reminiscent of the early years of the Renaissance, the whole tree of technologies is available for a civilization and the civilization has reached its technological peak. To move from one age to the next, it is necessary to build some buildings and pay certain economic resources. The main resources in the game are food, wood, gold and stone.
Download Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings
We might have the game available for more than one platform. Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings is currently available on these platforms:
How to play on Windows
- Download and extract Age_of_Empires_II_Win_RIP_EN.zip
- Double click on the .zip file and select to extract contents to your desktop. You will now have a folder called “Age of Empires II” on your desktop.
- To launch Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings, just open the folder and double click on the file called “empires2.exe” (red helmet icon). The game is pre-installed ready for you to play – enjoy!
- Enjoy the game!
For problems launching the game:
First of all, you want to enable DirectPlay on your computer. There’s many tutorials showing how you can do this. Secondly, right click on the icon for the game launcher and click on properties. Go to the “Compatibility” tab and then:
- Check the box next to “Run this program in compatibility mode for” and then select “Windows XP (Service Pack 2)” in the drop down menu.
- Check the box “Reduced Color Mode” and in the drop-down menu, select 8-bit (256 color)
- Check the box “Run in 640×480 screen resolution”
- Check the “Run as an administrator”
- And then click on “Apply” and then click on “Okay”. Now, launch the game by double clicking on the game icon. If it still doesn’t work, try playing around with the compatibility settings until you find one that works for you.