Released in 1999, Age of Empires II: The Conquerors is the follow-up expansion to the wildly famous Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings base game. Overall, it is the fourth game in the AoE series. Building on the Age of Kings, the game features five new civs, new expansions, gameplays and technologies. Overall, the graphics are the same as in AoK. The new gameplay features introduced in Aoe2 The Conquerors include game modes such as defend the wonder, where players must dedicate the entire game defending a wonder for a certain time period. Wonder race is another game mode, which involves building a wonder before your opponent completes his – wonders can be destroyed before they are completed, thus making the game hard for both sides. New maps in the game include more real-life maps, based on actual locations found on earth. These places include countries such as Japan, Scandinavia, Texas, Iberia, Italy and Arabia. Additionally, tropical and winter areas (jungle and snow respectively) was a key missing map terrain in Age of Kings. This was introduced in this new expansion. Despite the graphics being identical to the first AOE2, new gameplay additionals include all-new, much-needed civilizations including the Aztecs, Huns, Spanish, Koreans and Mayans
Download Age of Empires II: The Conquerors
We might have the game available for more than one platform. Age of Empires II: The Conquerors is currently available on these platforms:
How to play on Windows
- Download and extract Age_of_Empires_II_Win_RIP_EN.zip
- Double click on the .zip file and select to extract contents to your desktop. You will now have a folder called “Age of Empires II” on your desktop.
- To launch Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings, just open the folder and double click on the file called “empires2.exe” (red helmet icon).
- To launch Age of Empires 2: The Conquerors, double click on the file called “Age2_x1” (blue helmet)
- Enjoy the game!
For problems launching the game:
First of all, you want to enable DirectPlay on your computer. There’s many tutorials showing how you can do this. Secondly, right click on the icon for the game launcher and click on properties. Go to the “Compatibility” tab and then:
- Check the box next to “Run this program in compatibility mode for” and then select “Windows XP (Service Pack 2)” in the drop down menu.
- Check the box “Reduced Color Mode” and in the drop-down menu, select 8-bit (256 color)
- Check the box “Run in 640×480 screen resolution”
- Check the “Run as an administrator”
- And then click on “Apply” and then click on “Okay”. Now, launch the game by double clicking on the game icon. If it still doesn’t work, try playing around with the compatibility settings until you find one that works for you.